Kindergarten and Young 5's
- Math is taught using the Montessori math materials.
- The children begin with numeration and then move on to linear counting (to 1000) and place value/introduction to the golden beads, or the base 10 system.
- Math in Kindergarten and Young 5's also includes operations (addition, multiplication, subtraction and division) and introduction to fractions, telling time, and money.
Students work with Montessori materials to learn the concepts of story sequencing, rhyming and opposites.
Sandpaper letters to teach beginning sounds, ending sounds, middle sounds, and blending letter sounds.
Moveable alphabet is also used to further students understanding of decoding and phonemic awareness.
Phonics based and guided reading books
Pencil grasp and control are taught using the metal insets.
Letter formation taught using sand tray, sandpaper letters/numbers, chalkboards, whiteboards, smart board, squared paper, and lined paper.
- Life cycles of plants and animals
- Parts of plants and animals
- Solar System
- Human Body
- Composition of the Earth
- Land Forms
- Water Cycle
- Vertebrates and Invertebrates
- Native Americans
- The 7 Continents - animals, music, and art.
- Holidays around the world
SPECIAL PROGRAMS AND SCHOOL SERVICE
ADDITIONAL CURRICULUM STRANDS
University of Michigan Museum of Natural History & their Planetarium
Wild Swan Theater
The Creature Conservancy